Friday, May 17, 2013

Turning 21 into a Testimony

Today, I turn 21 years old. So, what's the big deal about turning 21? In the world's eyes, now I can not only party, but I'm also allowed to drink alcohol...legally. But here's the thing with me, I believe that it is wrong to drink because the Bible says so (Prov. 20:1, Eph. 5:18). Many people just don't understand that. Why would I follow what some book says about drinking? Because it is God's Word. So now my 21st birthday turns into testimony time. My taking a stand against drinking on my birthday says a great deal about the rest of my life. If I am going to do this, people will notice a difference. Not drinking on my 21st birthday shows people that there is something different, and they may think that I'm weird at first. But then, they can watch all the other areas of your life too. So just taking a stand against alcohol is a small first step. What about my work ethic? My speech? My social life? How will I be different in those areas? If Christ is in me, these areas won't just be weird. It will be a difference that they don't understand, but one that they desire to have. Will other people see Jesus? Will they want what I have?

Taking a stand is not just about being weird. It's about showing Christ in everything I do. His name is in my title – CHRISTian. Will taking a stand be more than just a way to be different? Or will it be showing the testimony of Christ?

3 comments:

  1. Good post. Those are some very important questions for one to consider.
    However, I would note that in both verses about "not drinking", it only mentions not getting drunk or be controlled by something other than the Holy Spirit. There is a notable difference between drinking and becoming drunk. I personally abstain from drinking but not because I believe I am commanded to do so.
    Keep Posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) and I'm sorry for the whole misconception of the "not drinking" verses. It's definitely something for me to look into a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will hopefully find a more concrete verse to support my own personal standard.

      Delete