Wednesday, January 22, 2014

All You Need Is a Good Book

Have you ever read a really good book? I'm not talking about one that is just a great story. It's one that makes you laugh, cry, maybe both at the same time. It's that one you get so attached to you think the character's are real, and when the book is over, you don't know what to do with your life anymore. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has been there.

Books are a great form of entertainment, but they're also great for learning, growing, and just imagining. Reading is that place you can go to escape. I could give so many examples of this. It's getting lost in history, in a make-believe world, even in the amazing character of God in His Book. When we read, we can gain so much. 

With all the junk that is written today, it's hard to find something worthwhile. Honestly, I get bored with that same Christian fiction. Girl is alone. Girl meets guy she's not so sure about. Girl and guy fall in love. Girl and guy have a big fight or problem. Guy saves girl. Girl and guy fall in love again. And they live happily ever after. It's the same story over and over again. (If you've ever read a Christian fiction book, you would know!) So, what's something good and wholesome that's out there? I'd like to give you just a few of my favorite books. Now, I'm the girl that will read a book two, three, maybe a million times if it's a good one. These would definitely make that list.

1. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. This book is my all-time favorite book, and yes, it's one of those Christian romance books. But it's not your normal story. This one is based on the book of Hosea in the Bible. It's a great read because it portrays who we are as opposed to who Christ is. You have to read the author's notes in order to get the whole effect! I would recommend this book to college age and older ladies. Other ones by Francine Rivers that I would recommend are The Mark of the Lion Series and A Lineage of Grace. Excellent reads!

2. Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Leigh Demoss. This one falls into the inspirational category. It's not necessarily just a pleasure read, but it will teach you oh so much. I would recommend this to girls of any age, but especially teenagers. When I read it as a teenager, it hit all of my problems right on the head. It's filled with Scripture that points you just where you need to be. 

3. Holiness by Nancy Leigh Demoss. This book again falls into the inspirational category. The spiritual growth that I received in this book is amazing. No, it wasn't anything that I had not heard before, but it was refreshing. We get surrounded by the filthiness of this world; we get so caught up in it ourselves that we don't even notice it creeping into our own lives. This book gives you a fresh look at what a life lived for God should look like. 

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Now, when I read this book in high school. I did not like it. It wasn't until I read the story a second time that I realized how beautiful a story it actually is. The book is just a classic love story. It teaches that love looks past the faults. 

5. Blink by Ted Dekker. This one is for all you suspense and mystery lovers. (But yes, there's still a little love story, but very little.) A man who can see into the future, a possibility of alternate realities. It's definitely a winner in my book. 

6. Three by Ted Dekker. Another mystery and suspense one, but this one is even better than the previous one. I honestly never saw the ending coming! Love it. 

7. Refiner's Fire Series by Lynn Austin. This is your historical fiction series. If you like learning about the Civil War (which if you're from the South, you probably do), then this series is for you. But be prepared to get attached. 

8. The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins. I know this one is a touchy series that many people have mixed feelings about, so please, please, please talk to your parents about it first! These books are well-written with an excellent plot and subplots. The political theory behind the book and the symbolism = amazing! All that being said, it does have some worldly philosophies that you need to watch out for. Being rooted and grounded in God's Word is the key. 

9. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis. This is one of those classic tales that I think everyone should read. Although it's been a very long time since I read it, I would recommend it. It's a great fantasy read that you can trust to be clean with good morals. 

10. The Bible. Last, but so not the least is the Bible. It has everything! Romance, suspense, battles, history. It's a story book from cover to cover, but it's all true! I'm reading through the Bible this year, and I'm only through Genesis, but the stories have me captivated. They will not only captivate you, but they will also teach you to love your God more.

What are some of your favorite books?

1 comment:

  1. I love the Francine Rivers and Lynn Austin as well. Some of my absolute favorites are by Brock and Brodie Thoene: the Shiloh Legacy (depression era),Zion Covenant (WWII) and Zion Chronicles (1948ish-Palestine, beginning of Israel). They do contain "love stories" but those are not necessarily the focus. The historical detail/accuracy is incredible-in my history class last semester, I knew several events and people because of these books. You can read one series without the other, but the characters do tie together in one way or another through all three. (I think about 14 or 15 books in all) Seriously, these books are incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete