Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Big Question

As I sat down to prepare for Bible study, Ruth was next on my agenda. Usually, I only spend one week on each woman. But Ruth has a whole book written about her! Okay, I'll break it into two weeks, or so I thought. I began to study and about two hours and four pages of notes later, I had only been through chapter one, but I had learned so much.

So take a look at Ruth 1:16-17 - "And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me."

We see in these verses that Ruth loved Naomi. She loved her so much that she would travel with her. She would stay with her. Ruth would adopt Naomi's people. Ruth claimed Naomi's God as her own. She would die where Naomi died, and she would be buried with her.

Naomi encouraged both of the sisters to return home. Orpah left, but Ruth stayed. Oh, Orpah had affection for Naomi, but it wasn't strong enough to make her stay. She kissed her mother-in-law and returned to Moab. At first, both said they would stay, but Naomi discouraged them. She told them she had absolutely nothing to offer them. No future. No hope.

But Ruth has already decided to stay. Her love was that strong.

So, how's your love? Is it just affection like Orpah's? Or is it commitment like Ruth's? Do you love God enough to give Him your past? Ruth did. She left her family behind. Do you love God enough to give Him your present? Ruth did. She left her home. Do you love Him enough to give Him your future? Ruth did. Her hopes of finding a new husband or making anything of her life were slim. But God blessed her beyond her comprehension.

So now, the big question - how much do you really love God? What will it cost you? Is He worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment